Thursday 26 July 2018

Book Review: The Unmumsy Mum by The Unmumsy Mum


I liked this. There’s a certain amount of solidarity you share with someone who’s gone through a similar parenting experience to yourself. I’m a seasoned mother of two (soon to be three). I know it isn’t all baking (I hate baking) and doing ‘fun’ things with chubby cheeked angels - but it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who knows this. Parenting is hard work. It’s boring at times (ten episodes of Hey Duggee in a row is enough to drive the sanest person over the edge), and lonely. A trip to B&Q is often the only light on the horizon of an otherwise groundhog style day.

But you know what? It’s ok not be be ok all of the time. Mum guilt is real, but it’s also ok to draw a line under today and start again. I think that’s what I gained most out of this book. There’s power in the perspective and reflection, and I enjoyed reading about the good times and the bad. It’s what life is all about.

It wasn’t a perfect read. A lot of this feels rather gratuitous, and more a personal memoir for the authors’s boys (nothing wrong with that, but I found the sections where she speaks directly to her children a little grating). It’s also a little outdated now as the author has since gone on to have another child, which changes the tone of some of her comments about the baby period being over. Again though, that’s life, circumstances change and families expand. I guess it means the author will just have to write another book as a mum of three.

I’d recommend this to all newbie parents. In fact, just all parents. We’ve all been there.

The Unmumsy Mum is available to purchase now from: Amazon

 - 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment