Thursday 15 November 2018

Book Review: A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. Maas


I think I need to approach this for what it is, and not what I wanted it to be. It’s a novella. It’s a bridge between books, offering a simple look into the lives of the inner circle, and a return to normalcy, after [book:A Court of Wings and Ruin|23766634]. I know all this...but... aside from the last third, I just found this rather lacklustre.

Nothing happens. There’s no development. There’s no substance. I get that it’s a shameless money spinner (and it shows) but it’s essentially just cringy sex scenes (I don’t think I’m ever going to like the type of sex scenes Sarah J. Maas writes), some shopping and getting to reminisce with some old friends. And it’s set around a celebration that’s distinctly wintery and I’m reading it on the hottest day of the year. I guess I wanted it to centre around the wider inner circle instead of mainly Rhys and Feyre. Their story is pretty much done for me. It’s neat and tied up. I want to see more of the complex relationships we’re given glimpses of here.

I think that’s why I enjoyed the last third so much more than the rest. And the ‘sneak peak’, I loved. It’s an expansion on these complicated secondary characters, and has the potential to really explore emotions and the consequences of war that I haven’t read since [book:A Court of Mist and Fury|17927395]. It got me excited for what’s to come, especially for Tamlin and Nesta - a character I have grown to absolutely love over the course of these books.

I just wish it could have delivered more of what I wanted, instead of pussyfooting around the elephants in the room.

 - 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment