Monday 3 December 2018

Book Review: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan


4.5 stars. Easily.

This was pure escapism at its finest. Charting the lives of the Chinese super rich through the eyes of newcomer Rachel, boyfriend Nick and his various family members, this was a wonderful bit of writing that instantly transported me into another world. With backdrops such as Singapore mansions, private islands, luxury chartered planes and the wedding of the century, everything felt so over the top and luxurious. It’s a world I cannot begin to imagine inhabiting, but I really felt as though I was there experiencing everything for the first time with Rachel.

At times it felt like I was reading a gossip magazine, with the various scandals and dramas wrapped up in haute couture. It’s a wonderful guilty pleasure. All of the characters are colourful and eccentric, either steeped in the cliched ‘old money’ traditions or dripping in ostentatious over the top displays of wealth, yet they’re also unique enough to carry and support the overall story arc. In particular I liked the secondary characters Astrid, ‘the goddess’ with her not-from-money husband and Alistair, the son marrying a Taiwanese soap opera actress known as ‘Kitty Pong’. I also really liked Nick’s Ah Ma, the typical matriarch running everything behind the scenes, while displaying at outward appearance of class and icy coolness.

Nick and Rachel are supported really well with all of these secondary characters, and really it’s because of them that I continued with the story, as I found Nick and Rachel by themselves to be quite dull. There’s no real drama involved between the two, other than a predictable storyline that reaches a climax too late in the plot. However, throwing the extended family into the mix really makes them shine for their ‘ordinary’-ness. Their lack of drama highlights the absurdities of their family, and makes their love story seem quite sweet and simple by comparison. However, we all known it’s the drama and bitchiness that bring this to life.

If anything, I found the ending rather abrupt after a slow build. Some things are not concluded to my satisfaction, and above all I wanted more. However, that said I can now devour the next instalment and immerse myself back in this fabulous world.

 - 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment