Sunday 17 February 2019

Book Review: The Wicked King by Holly Black

When I read The Cruel Prince in 2017 I was blown away by the magical world of Fae and political scheming. But that was nothing compared to The Wicked King. Nothing. 

This kicks up everything that was divulged at the end of the previous novel and twists it. Constantly plotting, scheming and internal fighting have left Jude a shadow of her former self. She’s poisoning herself everyday to build up a resistance, but it feels as though the palace itself is doing more damage than the Faerie fruit. As Madoc said, it’s harder to keep power than to obtain it, and Jude is constantly learning that to play with the big leagues is pretty hard to pull off. Especially when you’re mortal.

The chemistry between Cardan and Jude is perfect, and hits the right note between disgust, hatred and desire. When Jude at one point whispers ‘I hate you’, to see the smoulder in Cardan’s eyes. God. I don’t think I’ve met a pairing so equally matched in wits and glorious, unadulterated, sexual tension. This is what I want from my book romances. It’s no romance at all, but feels like it’s destiny. They’re two sides of the same coin, yet also so desperately different. Jude, mortal, vulnerable and yearning for power over a people who destroyed her family. Cardan, deliciously cruel to please others, yet seeking a love he’s wanted all his life. Their sparring of words is glorious. 

The extension of Bomb and Roach’s past together was nice to see and I loved the little snippets of Jude and Bomb together, acting for all the world like normal teenage friends. I like the Bomb, she has an integrity about her that’s rare in these Fae, and has the potential to be a true ally, and friend. Taryn I still dislike, as well as Locke. They seem well suited in their ability to appear friendly while ultimately still playing the game themselves. In fact, all of the supporting characters all well fleshed out and full of life to help build this constant level of tension and pressure around Jude and Cardan. 

The plot is full of twists and surprises that I didn’t see coming, and continued to be fast paced and interesting right up until that deplorable ending. There are plenty of plots and schemes interweaving together in such a clever way that you don’t see what’s coming until the chosen moment when everything comes to a head. Honestly, I’ve not enjoyed a book like this in such a long time, and I cannot wait to see how it will all end. Is it 2020 yet?!

No comments:

Post a Comment